PowerEdge M640 Blade Server
High-performance modular compute with industry-leading density
Effectively meet dynamic business needs with the PowerEdge M640. This modular blade server is designed to scale out and enable increased performance – all inside a PowerEdge M1000e chassis. Get up to 16 Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor dual-socket compute nodes in a single chassis. The M640 is an outstanding match for data center workloads that benefit from high density and power efficiency, and for multi-server and clustered architectures.
- High-performance computing (HPC)
- Anything as a service (Xaas)
- Private cloud
Speed IT transformation with the PowerEdge portfolio
Take the next step to modernize your data center with this modular compute platform. The PowerEdge M640 is a modular blade server built on a scalable business architecture that offers you choice and flexibility to meet performance demands easily.
- Scale compute resources with Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor that delivers a 27% increase in cores and a 50% increase in bandwidth over the previous generation.*
- Gain exceptional flexibility with a universal backplane and a choice of 2 x M.2 (BOSS) or dual SD cards.
- Maximize storage with 16 DDR4 DIMM slots and support up to 1024GB maximum memory.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded management
Dell EMC OpenManage intelligent automation enables you to spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on business-critical priorities.
- Help maximize uptime with proactive diagnostics and automated remediation that increase productivity up to 90%.*
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to configure and prep servers rapidly and scalably.
Fortify your servers with integrated security
A comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server helps to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly signed updates to run.
Up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 28 cores per processor
544.32 mm (handle push-in), 564.87 mm (Handle pull out)
Up to 2 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HD/SSD) max 12.8TB
Chassis Management Controller (CMC)
IPMI 2.0 compliant
Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC 9) with Lifecycle Controller
Hot plug fans with full redundancy
I/O and Ports
Network daughter card options
2 x 10GE + 4 X 1GE, 4 x 10GE
System ID / Status LED
1 USB 2.0 MicroAB port with iDRAC management function
1 USB 3.0 port
2 x PCIe 3.0 (x8) mezzanine cards for M1000e
2 x PCIe 2.0 (x8) switch mezzanine cards for VRTX
VGA controller integrated with iDRAC
8 Gen3 low-profile cards for VRTX
3 standard height, full-length x8 PCIe Gen2 cards for VRTX
5 low profile, half-length x8 PCIe Gen2 cards for VRTX
16 DIMMs in total; Supports RDIMM /LRDIMM/AEP
Up to 6 channels with 2 DPC / 1 DPC / 1 DPC
Up to two 2.5” NVME PCIe SSD
DDR4 speeds up to 2666 MT/s 16 x 32GB RDIMM
Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller (Express, Enterprise)
iDRAC REST API with Redfish
Chassis Management Controller (CMC)
OpenManage Power Center
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Dell Repository Manager
Dell System Update
Dell Server Update Utility
Dell Update Catalogs
Microsoft® System Center
BMC software (available from BMC)
Nagios Core and Nagios XI
HPE Operations Manager i (OMi)
OpenManage Essentials (OME)
OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA)
2700W and 3000W for M1000e
1100W and 1600W for VRTX
Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information
Supported Operating Systems
Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Citrix® XenServer® (optional)
Microsoft® Windows Server®
Microsoft® Windows Server® with Hyper-V™
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
Software RAID S140, PERC9 H330, H730P
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem:
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 120GB, 240 GB
Internal Dual SD Module optional
There are no inquiries yet.