PowerEdge MX840c Compute Sled
Set the foundation for the modern data center
Designed for Dell EMC’s PowerEdge MX kinetic infrastructure ecosystem, the PowerEdge MX840c server, with dense compute, exceptionally large memory capacity and highly expandable storage subsystem, delivers the flexibility and agility needed in today’s demanding, shared-resource environments.
- Double-width; up to four sleds per PowerEdge MX7000 chassis.
- Two or four, up to 28-core Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors per sled, up to 448 cores per chassis.
- Up to 48 DDR4 DIMMs slots, 6 TB max memory and speeds up to 2667MT/s; up to 192 DIMMS per chassis for up to 24.5TB max memory.
- Up to eight 2.5” drive bays for SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) and NVMe PCIe SSD support plus optional M.2 boot.
Dynamically configure for optimal workload performance and efficiency
PowerEdge MX architecture disaggregates and granularly reassigns resources, maximizing utilization, minimizing overprovisioning and stranded infrastructure. PowerEdge MX840c fully configurable, no compromise compute maximizes scalability to enhance workload performance and optimization.
- Powerful, latest generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processor family that deliver 27% more cores and 50% increase in bandwidth over the previous generation of processors*.
- Flexible memory configurations from capacities of 8GB to 6TB; RDIMMs and LRDIMMs for reduced memory loading and greater density.
- Large, high-performance onboard storage footprint with double the HDD drives per compute sled*.
Intelligently automate to accelerate deployment and provisioning
Deploy and provision PowerEdge MX servers faster and automate daily operations with agent-free lifecycle management. Unify and simplify management of compute, storage and fabric with Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition within the MX7000 chassis.
- Up to four times more performance with integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 9 (iDRAC9) for easy lifecycle management from deploy to retirement*.
- Sixteen fewer steps and 30% time savings to perform basic server setup using Android or Apple mobile device with Quick Sync 2* .
- Full Lifecycle Management of more than 5,000 nodes within 611 chassis over 7 continents simultaneously on a single OpenManage Enterprise console* .
Integrate innovation to maximize longevity and minimize disruption
PowerEdge MX infrastructure’s responsive and future-ready design mitigates the uncertainty of planning for future workload and data center needs. Industry leading thermal architecture, unique no mid plane design, forward thinking mechanical design and control algorithms for dense configurations allows for emerging technologies to easily integrate with existing infrastructure.
- Multi-generational assurance for at least three sever processor microarchitecture generations.
- More effective cooling and non-disruptive fabric upgrades with the no mid plane design – direct compute to I/O connections.
- Simplified storage capacity expansion with the PowerEdge MX5016s which accommodates up to sixteen 2.5” hot-pluggable SAS drives that can be granularly assigned to servers.
Two or four Intel™ Xeon™ Scalable Processor
Up to 28 cores per processor
Maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP): 205W
48 DIMMs in total; supports DDR4 RDIMMs, LRDIMMs, NVDIMM-Ns
Maximum capacity (NVDIMM-N): 192GB
Maximum capacity (RDIMM): 1.5TB
Maximum capacity (LRDIMM): 6.1TB
Up to 6 channels with 2 DPC
DDR4 speeds up to 2667 MT/s
S140 Software RAID, HBA330 Internal SAS HBA, PERC H730P Adapter, PERC H745P Adapter, PERC HBA330 mini-mezzanine
Internal boot options:
Choice of Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS) (2 X M.2 SDDs) or Internal Dual SD Module (IDSDM)
Up to 8 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HD/SDD) or NVMe SSD
Up to 6 x 3000W; PSU and grid redundancy support (MX7000 chassis)
5 rear- and 4 front-accessible hot-swap fans (MX7000 chassis)
Double width enclosure:
250.2 mm (9.85 inches) width (x)
85.5 mm (3.37 inches) height (y)
610.39 mm (24.03 inches) depth (z)
17 kg (37.47 lb) maximum weight
OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition (OME-Modular): running on up to 2 redundant MX9002m management modules (MX7000 chassis)
Unified control: single management point for server, storage and networking
Intelligent automation: Operational template methodology and comprehensive RESTful API
Quick Sync 2 Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)/wireless module
On the compute sled:
As every other PowerEdge server, the Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) 9 with Lifecycle Controller (LC)
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
I/O Expansion Slots
4 PCIe 3.0 x 16 mezzanine slots (Fabric A and B)
2 PCIe 3.0 x 16 mini-mezzanine slot (Fabric C)
OpenManage Mobile (OMM)
OpenManage Power Center OMPC)
Microsoft® System Center
BMC Software (available from BMC)
Ansible by Red Hat
Nagios Core and Nagios XI
Oracle Enterprise Manager
Microfocus Operations Manager (OM) and Operations Manager i (OMi)
IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus
TPM 1.2/2.0 (optional)
Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
I/O and Ports
Management LED (1 USB 2.0 MicroAB port with iDRAC management function)
1 USB 3.0 port external port
System status LED
Hard disk status LED
1 x USB 3.0 internal port
1 x USB 2.0 management port to iDRAC
1 x USB 3.0 + USB 2.0 for IDSDM
Integrated VGA controller in iDRAC, VGA over LAN
Supported Operating Systems
Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Microsoft Windows Server®
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution; consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information.
PowerEdge MX7000 chassis: 7U modular enclosure with 8 full width slots for combination of compute and storage sleds
Intel® C628 Chipset with optional Intel® QuickAssist Technology
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Storage Services
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
Enclosure I/O Modules
Up to 2 pair redundant general purpose switch or pass-through bays (Fabrics A and B); redundant pair of storage specific switch bays (Fabric C)
Up to 25GbE, 32Gbps Fibre Channel, 12Gbps SAS
There are no inquiries yet.