PowerEdge R540 Rack Server
Flexible by design
Adapt to a variety of application demands with a 2-socket, 2U rack server that offers an ideal balance of resources and affordability.
Up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 20 cores per processor
Optional LCD bezel or security bezel
Max depth: 707.74 mm (w/bezel)
Max depth: 693.81 mm (w/o bezel)
Front drive bays: Up to 12 x 3.5” SAS/SATA HDD max 168TB
Rear drive bays: Up to 2 x 3.5 SAS/SATA HDD max 28TB
Optional DVD-ROM, DVD+RW
IPMI 2.0 compliant
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller (Basic, Express, Enterprise)
Quick Sync 2 wireless module optional
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option
I/O and Ports
2 x 1GE LOM
+ (optional) LOM Riser 2 x 1GE or 2 x 10GE SFP+ or 2 x 10GE BaseT
Video, 1 x USB 2.0, dedicated IDRAC Direct USB
Video, serial, 2 x USB 3.0, dedicated iDRAC network port
Non rear storage config:
1 x FH/FL + 1 x HH/HL (2U Right riser) slots + 3HH/HL slots
Rear storage config:
1 x HH/HL (1U Left Riser) + 1 x HH/HL (1U Right risers) slot or 1 x HH/HL (1U Left Riser) + 1 x FH/HL (1U Right riser)
Embedded / At-Server
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller (Express, Enterprise)
iDRAC REST API with Redfish
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Dell Repository Manager
Dell System Update
Dell Server Update Utility
Dell Update Catalogs
Microsoft® Systems Center
BMC software (available from BMC)
Nagios Core and Nagios XI
Oracle Enterprise Manager
HPE Operations Manager i (OMi)
OpenManage Power Center
Titanium 750W, Platinum 495W, 750W, and 1100W, Bronze 450W
240HVDC 750W, 1100W 380 VDC
Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information
TPM 1.2/2.0 optional
Cryptographically signed firmware
Supported Operating Systems
Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS
Microsoft Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
Internal controllers: PERC H330, H730p, H740p, HBA330, Software RAID (SWRAID) S140
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem: HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 120GB, 240 GB
Power your applications with a versatile 2-socket rack server
Satisfy a variety of applications with the flexible PowerEdge R540. Its balanced combination of resources, expandability and affordability adapt to the changing demands of a modern data center. Optimize your application performance with one-button tuning. Scale for future requirements with up to 14 x 3.5″ drives. Embedded diagnostics and SupportAssist help to maximize uptime without added effort, in a worry-free environment.
- Video streaming
Achieve performance at scale with the PowerEdge portfolio
Our modern compute platforms are built to scale easily and take advantage of technologies that lift application performance. The PowerEdge R540 rack server combines affordably and versatility, so you can adapt to a variety of applications and meet future demands.
- Scale compute resources with the Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor family that delivers a 27% increase in processing cores and 50% increase in bandwidth over the previous generation of processors.*
- Optimize application performance with one-button tuning.
- Enable storage flexibility with up to 14 x 3.5″ drives.
- Free up storage with boot-optimized M.2 SSDs.
Gain productivity with intelligent, embedded management
Dell EMC OpenManage intelligent automation enables you to spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on business-critical priorities.
- Help maximize uptime with proactive diagnostics and automated remediation that increase productivity up to 90%.*
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers rapidly and scalably.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protection
A comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server helps to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly signed updates to run.
There are no inquiries yet.